[scimembers] Trill aux for Finale users

Don Freund dfreund at indiana.edu
Wed Feb 15 01:26:08 EST 2012

Finale users,

The only way to unmistakably indicate a trill auxiliary note is to
place a small notehead preceded by the appropriate accidental in
parentheses on the appropriate line or space to the right of the
principal note of the trill. Finale's Engraver Font Set provides
single font characters which include the combination of notehead with
accidental and parentheses but getting these to stay in the right
place is difficult, and ledger lines create a serious complication. I
think I've found a time-saving reliable answer to this by creating an
articulation library that includes 30 different articulation shapes
covering flat, natural, and sharp auxiliary notes up to 3 ledger lines
above and below the staff. I've also set these up as articulations
which will automatically snap to the right place in relationship to
the main note. I just learned that selecting an articulation (or group
of articulations) and hitting the "clear" will make the articulation
snap to its default position regardless of where the cursor might be
when the the articulation is clicked into the score. The auxiliary
articulations in the library I'm attaching have their handle positions
set, so that when the clear key is invoked they will snap to the
appropriate place to the right of the principal note and one diatonic
step higher than the principal note to which the articulation is
attached.

I'm attaching 2 articulation libraries, one each for Finale 2011 and
Finale 2012. I think earlier versions of Finale don't support shape
articulations. Sorry about that.