The San Antonio National Conference
September 13-16, 2006
The 2006 SCI National Conference, to be held in San Antonio, TX, will be co-located with the College Music Society's National Conference. Although SCI and CMS will share some concerts and other events, please note that registration for each organization is separate.
This SCI National Conference is unique in that there is no official host institution. We are indebted to the music departments at University of Texas at San Antonio, Trinity University, and the University of Incarnate Word-without whose contributions of performers, performance venues and equipment this conference would not have been possible.
San Antonio is a wonderful place for a conference! We hope you can join us in this festival of new music and new ideas by SCI and our guest CMS composers/performers/scholars. We've scheduled plenty of social events/receptions for catching up with your colleagues and cooling down from the intense activity of so many concerts and presentations.
- Eleven Concerts with over seventy works by SCI composers performed, including premieres of the three winners of the ASCAP/SCI Student Composition Commission
- Expanded paper/panels and lecture/demonstration component. 15 papers, 3 panels, and three lecture/demonstrations.
- Special Panel on Professional Development, featuring noted composers and administrators from SCI and CMS.
- Panel on Women's Issues in our profession
- Panel on the Pedagogy of Composition
- Special lecture/presentation on Music Business and Music Industry by Professor Michael Harrington of Belmont University
- Lecture/Demonstration/Recital on Overtone Singing by composer/singer Stuart Hinds
- Lecture/Demonstration: A Century of New and Renewed Music by Women Composers. Kobayashi and Susan Gray, Violin/Piano Duo
- Presentation by Kathryn Mishell on Into the Light, her syndicated radio program on Women Composers
Pre-registration fee is $75; after September 6 the registration fee is $85. Pre-registration checks can be sent to Society of Composers, Inc., Box 687, Mineral Wells, TX 76068-0687, or the full $85 may be paid at the conference.
Groups and Venues
- College Music Society
- UT San Antonio
- Trinity University
- University of the Incarnate Word
- Travis Park UMC
Conference CommitteeThomas Wells, Chair
Ohio State University
UT San Antonio
University of the Incarnate Word
General Manager, SCI