Region V Conference
St. Paul, Minnesota
March 6 - 8, 2003
Dr. Carleton Macy, host
The Society of Composers, Inc., Region V Conference will be held Mar. 6-8, 2003, at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Scores will be accepted from all SCI regions with preference for scores by composers residing in Region V.
Scores will also be accepted from non-members but they will not be programmed unless the composer becomes a member of SCI.
Composers are invited to submit scores for the following performers and ensembles:
- St. Paul Civic Symphony, with soloists or electronics, soloists must be provided by the composer
- Intergalactic Contemporary Ensemble
- any combination of string quartet, piano and french horn
- Ancia Saxophone Quartet
- University of Minnesota Brass Choir
- University of Riverfalls BrassQuintet
- Sartory String Quartet
- Verederos flute and percussion duo
- Macalester College Symphony Orchestra, expanded chamber orchestra with soloists or electronics; soloists must be provided by the composer
- The Macalester College Concert Choir, 40 voices with or without accompaniment
- Mac Jazz big band and combos
- flute ensemble, one alto flute, intermediate difficulty
- Macalester African Music Ensemble, drums, singers, flutes, marimbas, and more
- Macalester College Bagpipe Band
- Macalester New Music Ensemble
- ensemble of unspecified improvising musicians performing from graphic scores or verbal directions
- solos or ensembles up to four players drawn from the following: fl, recorder, cl, bsn, hn, tpt, tbn/bass tbn, tuba, perc, gtr, pf, vn, va, vc, db, and soprano, mezzo, and baritone voices
Submission Deadline: Sep. 15
Please submit up to four pieces that are no longer than 15 minutes.
Submissions that include guest performers are encouraged; the conference will provide a small travel honorarium for such performers.
Electro-acoustic music and pieces for soloist and electronics or other media are welcomed; stereo and quadraphonic playback is available.
Macalester College ensembles will be most receptive to pieces tailored to undergraduate performers.
Submissions must include:
- Score and separate cassette or CD recording for each submission
- program notes
- a single page with composer's name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail address, and list of pieces submitted with durations
For further information or to submit, contact:
Dr. Carleton Macy
1600 Grand Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55105
tel. (651) 696-6186